Learning Support/SEN provision is funded partly from the school’s overall budget and
partly from additional charges to those funding individual Learning Support/SEN pupils, and
is allocated on the basis of individual need.
● Support is graduated according to needs, priorities and availability of resources.
● Where the involvement of an Educational Psychologist is deemed necessary by the Director
of Learning Support, this is done at the School’s expense.
● Irlen screening: where assessment indicates that a coloured overlay would be beneficial to
a pupil, the first overlay is provided free of charge.
● The Director of Learning Support submits an annual budget request to the Finance
Manager to cover teaching and administrative resources in the Senior School, and manages
● The Director of Learning Support has access to and management of a contingency fund for
short-term and/or immediate support when that is deemed necessary. She also manages
the deployment of a Learning Assistant to support pupils in the classroom.
● Where long term support (i.e. more than half a term) is needed this will be charged to
parents, at rates depending on whether pupils have individual or group support.
● This charge will apply consistently regardless of which teacher support is provided by.
We offer a number of academic Scholarships of no more than 10% of School fees. These are open to external and internal candidates and are given out based on academic merit in the Entrance Assessment.
To retain the Scholarship, pupils must maintain excellent academic effort and demonstrate high standards of behaviour. Pupils given one of our Scholarships may also apply for further financial support through a means-tested bursary.
If your family is eligible for our school bursary, we invite you to apply. Simply complete our application form and send it in with a note to say you would like to be considered. All applications must be made in advance of the Entrance Assessment.
Bursary applications which are received after the Entrance Assessment are unlikely to be successful as we will have most likely already allocated the funds.
We often receive more applications than there are funds available. In such cases, we use academic performance in the Entrance Assessments as a deciding criteria.
As a matter of routine, we will enquire into the financial resources of of all families making a bursary applications. However, we keep these details confidential.
I feel incredibly lucky to be Headmaster of such a fantastic school. The sense of community at Yarm is second to none and we value our place in our local community, too. The breadth of opportunity on offer means that there is something for everyone to discover and in which to thrive. Our pupils are confident without a shred of pretentiousness and our talented and passionate staff guide and support each individual on their personal journeys of discovery. This is no ordinary school!